Happy Birthday Canada!
From the incredible sports we have invented, to the many memorable Olympic moments we’ve created, athletics have always been a big part of being a Canadian.
Did you know…
- Basketball was invented by a Canadian, James Naismith, in 1891.
- Five-pin bowling was invented in Toronto in 1909 by Thomas F. Ryan.
- Since 1917, Canadian teams have won the Stanley Cup 43 times! And, let’s be real, Canadian players have been helping the US teams win for years.
- The baseball glove was invented in Canada in 1883.
- Canada has hosted 3 Olympics: Montreal (1976), Calgary (1988) and Vancouver (2010).
As a country, we have accomplished so much in such a short period of time. We wanted to take this opportunity to reflect on a few stats from the Sport & Social Club years.
You think you’ve played a lot of games?
Here are our top 6 sports by the number of games played since 2004:
How many marriages?
Countless friendships have been made, many relationships and 14 (noted) marriages!
Don’t forget if you have married (or are marrying) someone you met playing in our leagues – let us know!
How many of sports have you played with us?
In the 20+ years Sport & Social Club has been around, members have participated in 30 different sports! Let us know if there is a new league you think we should add.
Hope everyone has an amazing Canada Day and long weekend!
See you back on the field on Tuesday!
~ Written by Zoe Varga